Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Social Media is Taking Over

I consider myself pretty well versed in the social media scene and consider my knowledge of its benefits pretty high up there. The reason I felt like writing about this topic now is how much it has taken over, not to mention it is social media week here in New York.

I'm sure you all have facebook by now, but, do you have twitter? Twitter is not really like facebook in the sense you can upload photos, etc, but it is like the old days with chat. I first started off with a twitter account to just follow local things in new york city and people i had interest in. Then I found the value in it: social media marketing. As you may know, I am the co-chair for a local fan group of football fans. We were organizing a trip to the meadowlands and a party to welcome others in to town, well I got the word out via twitter and facebook. I ended up getting an interview on the radio in San Diego. All because of Social Media. Anyway, I've kind of built a community of friends on twitter and have really reeped the benefits of social media. Applying this knowledge to every day life and my career is only helping me in this field. If you're looking to get some important information out and across to many people, then definitely make sure you broadcast in the social media world.

In a new update to my life, I have been writing a lot of restaurant and bar reviews lately. By doing so, I am putting myself into a competition of sorts with other blabbermouths. I am writing about places that I go to and giving people my honest opinion. Will it help this establishment get more or less business, well karma is a b**** so I try to keep it positive. Only when I have a REALLY BAD experience will I go out of my way to write something bad. There are benefits to all this writing, it's like an online journal. I've always said I'm so glad I have a blog because I can look back and remember so many things about my life. My next project is thinking of a specific theme, exploring more of this city and writing about the new places that I discover this week. Thanks to social media, you'll probably be able to follow in my footsteps.

I love my life.

No comments: